Saturday, October 13, 2007

A Different Saturday for Vol Fans

As I put the final touches on my fan gameday preparations, I can't help but have a bit of a unique feeling heading in to today's game against Mississippi State. It's been a while since Tennessee has lost to Florida and then regained control of their own destiny, especially this early in the season. For me, it surely makes these not-so-meaningful games more meaningful.

Maybe some readers can help me out, but I honestly can't remember this ever happening at this point in the season. The only year that comes to my mind would be 1997. However, I'm pretty sure that Tennessee regained control of the East much later in the schedule that year.

I feel pretty confident that Tennessee will win this football game. I do think it's a bit of a trap game coming after a big win against #12 Georgia and just before a showdown with Alabama. The game with the Crimson Tide is always an important one, regardless of records. The history and tradition of the game means a lot to Coach Fulmer even though the two teams now reside in different conference divisions.

I believe MSU to be fairly one dimensional. They will have to run the ball really really well and create some big plays in the passing game in order to win. I think they will have some success, but not enough to earn a W.

My prediction: Tennessee 38 MSU 17.

Basketball Practice.
Many schools, including Kentucky, opened their basketball season with a Midnight Madness for fans on Friday night. Tennessee wasn't one of them. Due to the arena renovations the Vols had to skip any type of scrimmage that would be open to the public. Surprisingly Coach Pearl is not a big fan of the madness events and is completely content with opening practice quietly. Does that surprise anyone but me?

Todd Helton update. Game 2 of the NCLS saw Todd Helton give the Rockies a 2-1 lead on a sac fly in the 5th inning but they couldn't hold on, allowing the Diamondbacks to tie the game in the bottom of the ninth and send it to extra innings. In the 11th Arizona walked in the go-ahead run and Colorado held on 3-2 to take a 2-0 lead in the series. Game 3 is Sunday night.

SEC Power Poll. The Vols are #6 in the SEC Power Poll at Orange and Blue Hue. They thought the young Georgia team looked like they were "bushwacked", whatever that means.

0 comments: