Saturday, July 4, 2009

Michael Palardy -- He's only a kicker.



Maybe it's just me, but when I think of kickers, the first thing that comes to my mind is the interview with Peyton Manning where he refers to the Colts kicker, Mike Vanderjagt, getting liquored up and running his mouth. I don't even recall what said, but I remember the incident. Regardless, it isn't a positive portrayal and I'm certain kickers don't prefer to be thought of that way.

Lets face it, kickers are odd characters. They are of a different breed -- at least that's the stereotype. For example, they don't like for teammates to talk to them before an important kick. I might even categorize them as loners. And I don't really consider them (or punters for that matter) to be athletes. At least not to the extent that I would other position players on the squad.

So it's easy to understand why fans typically don't get excited about a verbal commitment from a kicker. That is, of course, unless it's from one of the top kickers in the nation. And Michael Palardy from Ft. Lauderdale, Florida is just that, one of the best in the country. An astounding 98% of his kickoffs resulted in touchbacks and he made 76 of his 78 extra point attempts. Not too shabby. In fact, Flavarsity.com referred to him as one of the best clutch kickers in the state of Florida.

Still not convinced that getting a commit from a top-ranked kicker is a big deal? Consider this: scholarships are valuable, and unlike most other positions, coaches aren't going to sign multiple kickers in a recruiting class, meaning there is no room for error. It's critical to bring in a guy who can absolutely get the job done. For Lane Kiffin and Tenneasee, Michael Palardy appears to be just that guy.

Palarady's commit has generated a lot of buzz this week, not just in Tennessee, but in recruiting circles nationwide. I've read multiple articles on his decision from throughout the southeast, including the enemy territories of Baton Rouge and Florida. On a Tennessee message board I frequent, a rival Alabama fan posted a congratulatory thread to Vol fans on the commitment. That's right, a Bama fan envious of a commitment from a kicker.

So yeah, even though this commit is from a kicker, it is great news for Vol fans.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

The loner is definitely a stereotype that just isn't true. Just like all athletes some like to prepare differently. My son is a kicker but prefers to be around his teammates the entire game.

As far as kickers not being athletes...I guess that can be your opinion but most of these guys are former soccer players and soccer players are some of the best conditioned athletes I have ever been associated with...that is certainly just my opinion